Monday, May 4, 2009

Thankful

Being diagnosed with a deadly disease has made me realize how lucky I am because it puts so many things into perspective.

First, I feel good today. On Saturday morning, during the first few moments of wakefulness, I realized I didn't feel any pain for the first time in weeks. The achy bones, nauseous stomach and extreme tiredness seem to have taken a hiatus - at least until my next chemo treatment on May 15. It's a welcome reprieve, even if it is only short lived. If I can have these types of days to break up the side effects of the treatment, I'll be able be able to face the chemo with more determination.

Second, the weekend was absolutely beautiful. I was able to visit good friends, enjoy food (something I haven't been able to do properly for at least a month), go for a walk in the forest, have some laughs and enjoy good conversation. It was exactly what I needed.

I'm overwhelmingly thankful for the plethora of gifts with which I've been showered recently. Michael and I can't begin to thank everyone enough for their generosity. So many of them will help ease some of our everyday burdens as I focus on fighting.

I also love the phone calls, emails and visits - many from people who just want to touch base and find out how I'm doing. It's nice to know so many people care. I'm not fighting this alone. I have a whole "village" behind me.

Which brings me to Team Tina. On Friday, I learned my friends at London Life created a team in my name for the Run for Ovarian Cancer on May 24. I can't even put into words how amazed I am that people are running and raising/donating money in my name to fight this horrible disease. There are so many people on my team - some of them don't even run! One woman's daughter is fundraising - and she doesn't even know me. It's astounding!

I cried.

Michael promptly signed up and will start training with Ginger. I'll be there in all my bald glory, proudly wearing the t-shirt designed for Team Tina. I'll try to walk the 5k (or at least the 1k) and enthusiastically cheer my team on.

The Run for Ovarian Cancer raises money for a research position at London Health Sciences Centre. The researcher works directly with ovarian cancer patients and oncology doctors, as well as spends time in the lab; making this the first local project fully dedicated to ovarian cancer. This is also one of the first positions of its kind, an innovative type of research position bridging the gap between pure research in the lab and the bedside of the actual sufferers of the disease.

I know some of you are going to ask how to join Team Tina (to sport the fancy t-shirt). You need to let me know by Wednesday, May 6 if you want to participate and I'll let the organizer know. You also need to register on the site.

http://www.runforovariancancer.ca/

Go to the running shoe on the right side and click on the link. If you go to the team names on the right side (click on more), you'll find Team Tina. If you need help, feel free to contact me.

If you're not a runner, but still want to help, sponsor one of the runners. Every dollar counts.

So I'm going to continue being thankful by going out to lunch with my sister, Angie and my friend, Jacqueline. It's a beautiful day and we should all take advantage of it.

Cheers,
Tina

5 comments:

  1. Teena, I'm glad you're feeling so good today. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi darlin girl.

    I am so glad that you are feeling good today. It is a great day. Enjoy lunch with your sister and friend.

    I ran for you today. As part of the Fitness Challenge at work, there was a 5 km run/walk today. I only just started running yesterday, so I wasn't sure how I was going to do, but I finished.

    All the time I was running, I was thinking about you, and when there were times when I thought about stopping, I said to myself, "Tina, wouldn't stop, she would keep running". So run I did until I reached the finish line.

    That is what this journey is for you, running until you reach the finish line as a survivor.

    Enjoy this beautiful day darlin.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane,
    you also are quickly becoming my inspiration. I was talking to Tina this weekend on the porch and I was telling her how much I enjoyed reading your blogs on her.. keep up the good work. (I'm jealous, you ran a 5km and have never run before!!)

    as for you Mrs Bratscher,,
    I hope you had a wonderful day in the sunshine..
    Great to see you're still feeling good.
    love you honey
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep running or walking by my side. I appreciate it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane and Tina.

    Running for Tina yesterday gave me the inspiration to keep going.

    Always by your side darlin Tina.

    Take care.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete