Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Very cool


I find being bald surprisingly freeing. The first night, I experienced shock whenever I saw myself in the mirror. My first thought after the shave off was conehead. (Remember them on SNL - and yes, I'm dating myself again.)


But the shock is gone. I seem to have no problem saying to people, "do you want to see it?" Colleen Maass and Melissa Dodge both visited yesterday (much to my delight) and I unhesitantly whipped off the pink bandana. They both complimented me on the nice shape of my head - lucky me - and said bald suited me. Huh.

I don't feel compelled to cover up all the time, and wander around the house, cook, watch TV, etc. sans head cover. I'm happy I feel so comfortable with it. I know others may be uncomfortable but as Jodi's dad used to say "they can look elsewhere."

Today, I go to the geneticist with my mom and sister today to get tested for the BRCA1 gene. This gene, which can cause breast and ovarian cancer, runs in my family. I'm pretty sure I have it given the circumstances. But if I have it, unfortunately so does my mom. She can do something to prevent cancer from catching up to her. And I pray it skipped my sister entirely.

Of course, once we learn who carries the gene, we'll undergo counselling to learn the options and understand the implications. When I have confirmation that I have it, I'll need to figure out when Noah and Tara should be tested. It doesn't necessarily pass to the next generation and my fingers are crossed they don't have it. But we have to make sure so appropriate precautions can be taken. One step at a time.

In closing, I've posted a picture of me bald so you can all get over the initial shock and experience a chuckle on this sunny Wednesday morning.

Have a great day!
Tina

7 comments:

  1. Darlin girl. You look fabulous. "Bald is definitely beautiful".

    I am sure today may be somewhat difficult for you given the circumstances, but your "glass half full" philsophy will always brighten any day.

    Your reaction to this new look does not surprise me in the least. You have such a positive attitude about everything, and always have had. That is what I love most about you.

    You go girl?

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and that's me without make up. But I still have my eyebrows! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who need makeup? You are just a natural beauty.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Honey!
    YAHOO FOR YOU!! MIKEY TONIGHT!!! PETE AND I ON SATURDAY!!! I only hope I'm as brave and don't sit there crying into my beer as Margaret shaves my head WITH A STRAIGHT RAZOR!! and... you didn't tell me she uses a STRAIGHT RAZOR!! She will not be drinking till my head is done...
    you look fabulous bald and I can't wait to run my fingers through your bristle baby... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you!! YOU LOOK MMMMARVELOUS!!! Seriously..I mean it! You exude beauty....in and out!!

    I am so proud of you....stay strong and BEAT this!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

    As for Michael....you are SO blessed to have a wonderful hubby! He is so supportive and that is awesome he is shaving his head!

    And wow....though I have heard about Diane and Pete...that is so touching that they are going bald too.....

    I love you girlfriend!!

    Good luck today!! My prayers are with you for the appointment!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  6. You blow me away. I think you look great. Your eyes are shining. Your grin is beaming...and it seems to be saying - watch out here I come. Our maybe it's saying - screw you cancer, you're freakin' toast. Either works.

    Know that you're in our prayers out here in BC. Take care chickie. T

    ReplyDelete
  7. You DO have a very nicely shaped head! Thank God for small favours.

    ReplyDelete