Saturday, May 23, 2009

Signs of aging

Advertisements proclaim revolutionary anti-aging serums, scientifically advanced wrinkle creams and hair colour with rich emollients to cover the grey. I, like most others (more specifically women), am drawn to the promises of a younger visage and silky, grey-free hair.

My cancer diagnosis shifted my perspective.

I used to look in the mirror and lament about the laugh lines forming between my nose and mouth. "Why on earth do I have all these horizontal lines running across my forehead?" I'd wonder. "Surely, I don't furrow my brow that much."

Every five or six weeks, I'd religiously cover the grey sprouting on my scalp - grey that's been making an appearance since I was 18 years old. I'm no longer exactly sure of my natural colour.

I admit, over the past couple of years, I've even pulled my skin up around my temples to test how much younger I would look with a face lift (not that I'd seriously consider the surgery, but to see the ravages of time and gravity).

The skin at my neck is a little less taut and my hands reveal my age. And why on earth do women start sprouting hairs in weird spots (the chin) when they hit a certain age?

But over the past six weeks, when faced with the prospect of not growing older, I've learned to better accept the signs of aging.

The groves around my mouth mean I've had plenty to talk and laugh about with friends, the furrows in my brow are signs of thought and intelligence (for surely if I were concentrating that hard, I'd have to be smart), and the wrinkles gracing my eyes are witness to the thousands of days of sunshine I've been able to enjoy.

The signs of aging are simply testaments to the experiences of living.

While I may more readily accept these changes to my body, it doesn't mean I'll give up on slowing their progress. I am human after all and want to look good. I will continue to use moisturizers and sunscreens, which just make good sense anyway, pluck the stupid hairs on my chin and eventually I'll probably go back to colouring my hair. (Although when it first returns, I'll have to leave it au natural, which will probably be more grey than brown. Oh well.)

I want to grow old - and as a result, look old.

So when you look in the mirror today, don't look for wrinkles, look for signs that you've been living your life. And make sure every day counts.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Hi darlin. I am a little late sending you my good morning email. I have been out in the gardens most of the day. The weeds never stop. It is such a fabulous day today. Hope you were able to get out and enjoy.

    I look at the lines on my face, and I know that I have lived my life. You are so right Tina, we should make sure we make every day count.

    You will grow old gracefully. Everything hanging a little lower, but who cares. Let your hair grow grey, laugh more, so the lines in your face are more pronounced. Live life to the fullest. That is all that we can do.

    We will still be talking about the lines in our face, and the grey in our hair, when we are in our 80s - you and me - we will be there together.

    Take care, and enough the sunshine.

    Always in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put, my dear...Very well put!

    Love those wrinkles, don't ya??

    Smile, sunshine...and enjoy each and every day!

    Love you!
    R

    ReplyDelete