Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A shift in focus - Part 2

I now have a surgery date - June 17.

Yesterday, I lamented a sense of loss now that the ovarian cancer run is over. My blog discussed the need to shift my focus. Obviously, I now have that new focus.

My stomach clenched in worry when I heard the date yesterday morning. I knew surgery was inevitable, but to have a concrete date in the not-so-distant future initially filled me with dread. But as the day wore on and the shock wore off, I could feel myself mentally preparing.

I reminded myself of the benefits of the surgery - the removal of the nasty tumours, and my uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes (the culprits in producing the mutant cells). My surgeon will also remove a portion of the omentum (that fatty layer in the abdomen that typically protects organs) - something I feel I have way too much of anyway. I keep dreaming it'll be like a tummy tuck, but I suspect I'll be sorely dissapointed.

The surgery will also allow my oncologist to assess the extent of the cancer, examine the tumours and confirm my staging.

But that's what scares me too. What if he can't remove it all? What if he discovers when he opens me up, the cancer has spread to other organs? What if my tumours aren't the type that respond well to the treatment I'm undergoing? I'm worried my situation will be worse than we originally thought.

Right now, I live in blissful ignorance (that may be an overexaggeration) that the chemotherapy is working for me. Theoretically, it's now shrinking the cancer cells, which will make the surgery easier to tolerate.

I'm also scared because it's going to be invasive surgery. I've been saying, much to the chagrin of others, they're going to gut me like a trout. They'll make a huge t-incision down my abdomen and across my pelvis to open me up and remove the offending organs and disease - and whatever else they find that looks suspect. Then they'll wash the empty cavity and collect the cells to examine in the labs. When they're done, they'll sew me back up.

I'll wake to some pretty incredible pain and a huge scar. Good thing, the hospitals have strong narcotics for the pain. I have a feeling drugs are going to be my new best friend right after the operation.

Apparently, I'll be in the hospital for three to five days. When I go home, I'll have to take it easy and won't be able to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. or stretch to reach anything. Sounds pretty limiting.

While I'm scared of the surgery and all it entails, I'm really am happy to have a date. The prospect of the operation lurked in the back of my mind since my diagnosis. The surgery removes the cancer (or most of it) and the chemotherapy will clean up what remains. It's moving forward. It's one step closer to recovery.

So I'm gearing up for the next stage of the battle. I will be strong mentally and physically for June 17. This cancer can't beat me.

Your friend,
Tina

4 comments:

  1. Darlin girl. Of course you are scared. This is a great deal to digest. You are entitled to be scared.

    But, remember, the power of positive thinking. The surgeon will operate on you, he will remove all the nasty stuff, you will recover, you will grow stronger, you will grow old with your soul mate. I truly believe this.

    This cancer will not beat you. Never.

    One day at a time darlin girl.

    I love you with all my heart. I am truly blessed to have you in my life.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!
    Did I tell you that there is no better place to recover than at a SPA...???!!?? Think about it, you'd have the place to yourself except for the pool boy aka Scout, the food would be self serve, however, it would be fabulous, they have a wonderful front porch with Anarondack Chairs to let you sit quiety and read a book for hours as the sun envelopes you in summer heat and the gentle breeze blows through the fluff on your head, or you can wisk away the hours by snoozing on a big queen sized bed all to yourself with big fluffy pillows and the breeze blowing in the window. (notice there's always a 'gentle breeze'?)
    You'll be fine, you be even better than fine when you heal and you can get back on with this crazy thing called life.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. envelopes??? ENVELOPES??? augh!!! here we go again... maybe it should read ENVELOPS!! (at least you won't have HELMUT head!!) hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my dear...let's talk about a "shift in focus" so to speak...as a fellow HYSTER-SISTER...you should think about all the things you WILL have... no AUNTY FLO to visit!! YIPEE!! And freedom that THAT entails!

    I wrote you the other nice benefits from this surgery. It really changed SO MUCH in my life...gave me BALANCE that I feel came at a right time for me - to face all that I had to face and have done in the past two years.

    Yes...its scary....absoultely, no doubt. These are real feelings. Fear is natural.

    With this surgery, you will find a sense of calness and peace...within yourself. And that this invasive surgery will be ridding your body of this nasty cancer. This surgery is about action! And you are a woman of action - always have been.

    The recovery is God's way of telling you to slow down to a snail's pace and take everything in around you. Before you know it, this will be a memory and you will be back on your feet and back to work!

    We are all here for you....no matter how your days are...good or bad. Your TEAM TINA spreads across the globe and will be rooting for you!!

    We are here to fight with you!

    ReplyDelete