Friday, May 8, 2009

Strange things

I've got that tune from the movie Toy Story running through my head this morning. The lyrics croon, "strange things are happening to me." Yup, that's how I feel. No, my hair is still firmly affixed to my head, much to my delight.

It's the other little side effects of chemotherapy making me chuckle. Not because they're particularly funny, but because the combination of all these little side effects, add up to one big annoyance. Of course, nothing's easy and maybe laughing is my way of dealing with them.

Earlier this week, I broke out in a rash of small, red, very itchy bumps on my hands, arms, legs and belly. I thought it was a delayed reaction to the chemotherapy, but my home care nurse (Roman) told me my body/skin will change and I may suddenly develop a reaction to products or environmental allergens. Great!

So I ditched my beloved deodorant Irish Spring, which I suspected as the cuprit, and tried cucumber and aloe Dove. Two days later, my rash is gone.

My body is also drying out. My skin craves lotion, my eyes get sticky, the inside of my nose feels dry and lip balm is my new best friend. Since I've always consumed a lot of water, I suspect this continued habit prevents my mouth from drying out.

I'm also getting these weird red dots on my skin. There's only two (that I know of) right now, but more may suddenly appear after my next treatment. I'm only hoping that we won't have enough to play connect the dots as the weeks go on.

To top it off, chemo also cause pimples. So I'm essentially a middle-aged woman with dry skin, red dots and pimples. Throw in the round belly from the ascities and the impending baldness and I'll be a sight. Sigh.

But again, I have to laugh and find the humour in this situation. You can laugh with me. It is quite ridiculous.

Happy Friday!
Tina

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tina
    You have a wonderful sense of humor, keep your chin up kiddo, and one day at a time, it will work out. Happy Mother's Day to you, have a great week-end.
    Love Cheryl & Reg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people would be crying and whining up a storm, but no, you make us laugh. We will all be sending you gifts of sensitive skin lotion so be prepared! Enjoy the day, relax and catch up on some much needed rest. Love ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember, the lotion has to be scent free because I turn into a super-smeller right after chemo. And I need to use Noah's acne cream. What a combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "glass is half full" attituted Tina! There should be more people in this world like you :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I know, there's a product on the market called Udder Butter,,, very lightly scented but works great... so,, you'll be a middle aged woman, with red (connect the) dots, using Clearasil, all the while applying Udder Butter..(it comes in a huge black and white tub that's marked like a Holstein cow) hmmm... that's a sight I would LOVE to see... haha
    have a fabulous mothers day honey.. big hugs and kisses...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi darlin. I am a little late with my entry. My system at work was acting up yesterday.

    Definitely sounds like a "kodak moment".

    I am so very glad that you are keeping your sense of humour. I can't begin to imagine how this is affecting you life, but never stop keeping that sense of humour. When all else fails, that will see us through so much.

    It is a bit of a dreary day today, but not too cold.

    Take it easy today, and bless you darlin girl.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tina:
    Chemo did not make my hair all fall out only the top. When I wore a baseball cap no one could tell. Dianna just can't understand why I havent given up my beloved baseball caps yet. Some styles are just right. We make our own fashion statements. What is comfortable what is wearable and what keeps us happy.
    first week and counting.

    ReplyDelete