Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Statistics suck

I know my title is going to freak out some of the math folks. As a communicator, numbers aren't my strong suit. Don't get me wrong, I can do basic math, budgeting and simple statistical stuff. I'm also still capable of helping Noah with his grade six homework (even though we've moved into ratios and fractions). But there's a reason I went to journalism school.

My dislike of numbers intensified this week when I read the survivor statistics on the Run for Ovarian Cancer website. Quite honestly, I've avoided researching this data because I didn't want to know. But since Team Tina is participating in the run, I read the spiel with all the reasons to run or donate. There is was in black and white - 60 per cent of those with ovarian cancer die from the disease. Arrrrggghhhhh!

Now that little number is stuck in my brain, ready to rear its ugly head whenever my defences are down.

But as a wise person (okay, Angie) said to me yesterday when I expressed my fears, I AM NOT a statistic. I'm younger, stronger, healthier than many who begin this fight. Many women are much older, so they don't even tolerate the surgery and chemotherapy treatments well.

I know my strength and age don't guarantee me recovery or a prevent a reoccurence, but they're factors in my favour. I need to cling to those because I have to be strong and believe I will beat this. Maybe I will die from the disease, but let's say in about 30 years or so.

I did have a good cry last night because this is completely unfair. This isn't the way my life is supposed to be. I'm supposed to grow old with Michael (my soulmate), travel and, enjoy my children and eventually grandchildren without the looming presence of cancer.

After we wiped our tears, I once again repeated my mantra - one day at a time.

So today's a new day and I have to say whoo hoo to Team Tina. It's already surpassed recruitment goals and captured second place for funds raised among all teams participating in The Run for Ovarian Cancer. Way to go!

That alone gives me a reason to smile today. Thank you.

Tina

9 comments:

  1. Come on Tina - it's only a number. That can't hurt you, and I know you can beat this. Your strength and will are your strongest weapons.

    PS - stop researching things, go outside and enjoy the sunshine lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlin girl. You are definitely not a statistic.

    You are a living, breathing, bundle of joy, who will beat the odds.

    Remember the email I sent you with the blog for the ovarian cancer survivor. This too can happen to you.

    Statistic are what they are, and 60% is what it is, but don't forget your mantra. One day at a time, one moment at a time.

    You will grow old with Michael, you will travel the world, and you will make an amazing grandmother. Keep those thoughts close at all times.

    Having a good cry periodically always cleanses the soul.

    You are an amazing young woman, who has so much living left to do, and you will indeed do it. We all will make sure of that.

    Smile today darlin girl, just because.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive thoughts, positive energy, positive results... the doctors have already said it's not as bad as they assumed it was,,, hold firm to that honey. Forget the numbers,,, that's all they are. HEY, YOU'RE 42 (but you feel 25)

    It's a beautiful day, smile at the sun
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I burned my psych stats notes after university. Statistics really do suck.

    I was on my scooter this morning, thinking of you. Wondering if you've had a chance to take the bike out. It's a beautiful day to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As i made data-entry for clinical study´s, my boss told me once: Don´t belive to a statistic which you havent falsified on your own. (hope to bring over the meaning). And all is relative!
    Enjoy the Day, the hour, the second. Don´t whatch statistics. Go outside! Hope you have Sun.

    Every Day is a beautiful day, take him.
    renate

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've always set yourself apart from the majority. You'll do it again this time.

    Lots of love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina, we're word-people for a reason!

    I strongly believe everything happens for a reason and I think this is just happening to you to make you even stronger than you were before. So, avoid the numbers, go outside and enjoy the sun! We all have faith you can fight this :-)

    Luv,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tina:

    You, my friend will never, ever a statistic. Remember how in first year J-skool they told us to look to the left and right and that neither of them would be there in 2nd year?

    They were pretty awful odds, and you beat them.

    And remember the years of trying to get a real communications career started? You beat those odds too.

    Not to mention the jackpot of finding a husband like yours.

    You'll beat this too. There is no doubt in my mind.

    Love,
    Kath & kids

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I began to write to you on the Blog (at 1:30 a.m. PST)...I just got an email message I subscribe to daily...from a wonderful website. http://www.gratefulness.org/

    I thought...what was I going to write to you about Team Tina (AMAZING!!!) and this blog on Statistics?...and then, boom, this message arrived. His Holiness the Dalai Lama said this, "True compassion is not just an emotional response, but a firm commitment founded on reason. Therefore, a truly compassionate attitude toward others does not change, even if they behave negatively. Through universal altruism, you develop a feeling of responsibility for others: the wish to help them actively overcome their problems."

    Your friends and co-workers that started Team Tina...are amazing. They exemplify this compassionate attitude towards finding a cure for this horrid disease. And, truly, by everyone on YOUR VILLAGE and YOUR TEAM...continuously sending you positive energy, vibes and/or prayers....will help you in this fight...and just know you have all of us behind you!

    Love you...
    Rachna

    ReplyDelete