Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday morning random thoughts

Happy long weekend everyone. My blog today is going to be an update and some random thoughts from over the past week.

Most importantly, I was able to get my second round of chemo yesterday. Yeah! My blood counts were excellent and I sailed through the long transfusion period with my sister at my side. One new and strange side effect, that I probably didn't notice last time, my eyes blurred during the Benadryl drip. It made reading my Chatelaine magazine difficult because the words jumped all over the page. Interesting.

I feel pretty good this morning. I'm religiously taking my anti-nauseau meds and knock on wood, they're working so far. Some slight chest pressure/heart burn started about 10 minutes ago. I can deal with that.

Another side effect, which I also experienced last time too, is the early morning waking (some would even call 3 a.m. the middle of the night). I suspect it's from the steroids the nurses give me to prevent an allergic reaction.

I got many compliments from the cancer clinic staff on my t-shirt from Margie with the slogan "I'm kickin' ovarian cancer's butt." That's how I felt yesterday too. I was bouncy and optimistic. I think some of the staff and other patients may have found that strange. Angie and I snacked on the smorgasboard of munchies she brought, my spirits were up and I received the medicine I needed to fight.

Oh, much to our suprise, I learned from my oncologist yesterday that I may have another round of chemotherapy before my surgery because his secretary still has to book it (why that hasn't already been started is beyond me). I was dissapointed by the news.

So I may have my next chemo on June 5, with surgery in early to mid July. Or I may have the operation in mid June, as originally planned. As scared as I am of the invasive surgery, at least it will allow the doctors to cut out the offending tumours (I envision Arnold Swartzeneggar saying that word - TOO muur) and remove the main organs that are the sources of the disease. But at least the chemo is working on shrinking the offending interlopers.

On a funny note, as I was losing my hair this week and my palms were completely covered in lost strands, I kept singing in my head "clap for the wolfman." Strange how the mind works during semi-tragic events.

Yet as anxious and scared as I was about the hair loss, it really is no big deal. I really don't care. I'm willing to show people, and I mostly put on head scarves and hats so as not to startle others. Go figure. Besides, I have my bald husband by my side and so we're just a couple of coneheads together. There will be four of us by the end of the day (ha!).

Kudos to Jodi for providing a post chemo meal for my family last night. What a huge relief. I came home to a crock pot of yummy smelling food - and I was even well enough to eat a bit. Thank you!

Friends, and all the big and small things they do to help, are a blessing. I don't know what I would do without you. I know I've requested this before, but it never hurts to be reminded to think of something in your life that is a blessing (even if it's the experience of a long weekend).

Until next time,
Tina

1 comment:

  1. Hi darlin girl. I am thrilled that you were able to get your chemo yesterday. Another chance to rid yourself of those nasty cancer cells.

    As I have said before, it is truly a blessing to have you in my life. You are a true inspiration. You are dealing with this little set back in your life with wit and humour. I am sure there are days that you would just like to cover your head and let the world go by.

    But that is not you. You are a fighter. You have always been a fighter. Your new mantra should be "kickin butt".

    I laid down for a bit of a nap this afternoon during the rain, and when I woke the sun was shining brightly. To me that is an omen. You came through yesterday, and brought the sunshine today.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Love always

    Jane

    ReplyDelete