Friday, May 1, 2009

Crazy cautious

I've never been one to worry too much about the typical germs in society. I believe exposure to organisms and bacteria (within reason) only builds our immune systems. Don't get me wrong, I regularly washed my hands, sometimes used hand sanitizer and was extra cautious when I had a cold so as not to infect my friends and family. Overall my immune system was strong.

With chemotherapy killing my white (and red) blood cells, I've turned into this crazy cautious person. Hand sanitizer is all over my home and in my purse. I cringe away from sneezes. I nag my kids into using Kleenex and then diligently washing their hands. I've turned into the germ police.

I now view my kids' school as a germ-infested hot spot and the grocery stores a danger zone. It's ridiculous.

Even my beloved lime that I put in my Diet Coke and soda water is suspect. When I'm home, I wash it thoroughly with soapy water before slicing its juicy goodness. But in a restaurant, it's a quick squeeze and then the spent rind sits discarded on the table. "You never know who touched that or where it's been," my sister told me. That's never crossed my mind all those years I've quaffed my lemony ice water or lime-infused drinks.

And most people needn't worry.

The advent of the swine flu brings another source of worry. It's fairly benign to those with normal immune systems, but mine isn't. I just dread the day it's discovered in the London area and I pray the germ dies out quickly.

I don't want to be afraid to leave my house. That would be terrible for my emotional well-being during my fight. While it's okay to be extra cautious, it's not a role I enjoy.

So I'm planning to get out this weekend and visit good friends (Diane and Pete) in Port Franks. "Come to the spa," they say. I'll be able to sit on their porch (weather permitting) and get some much needed laughter. Yes, I'll be extra careful, and I don't doubt they'll watch over me to make sure I rest when needed.

It's one week after my first chemo treatment and I woke up feeling better than I have all week. I hope it lasts.

Try to learn something new today, laugh with a friend or colleague and tells someone you love them. There's no better time than today.

Happy Friday,
Tina

5 comments:

  1. Heh, didn't I tell you? We have no germs in Port Franks, I really think you should move here.
    Can't wait to see you, I'll wash the lime!! (although I'm sure that the vodka will kill ANY germs!!) haha
    love you honey xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi darlin. I am always amazed how easily you share your thoughts and feelings.

    You give me food for thought each time I read your blogs.

    Thank you for your encourage at the end of your blog. One thing is for sure, don't forget to tell someone you love them each and every day. You don't want to lose that day or that feeling.

    I love you Tina, and am looking forward to our visit tomorrow.

    Take care.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Port Franks fresh air will be good for you. And from what I hear, there's no H1N1 there.

    So glad to hear you're feeling better. It's supposed to be a gorgeous weekend - enjoy!

    Hugs, Jenmac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you ahve a wonderful weekend with your friends! Enjoy, sweety!

    Love you
    Rachna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a note to keep in touch. Enjoy. Bill and I and the kids went to Breckinridge and I went mountain biking (small lane ways of course)but I went. Love have a great time
    Doris

    ReplyDelete