Friday, July 10, 2009

For granted

Stop and think for a moment, how do you feel today? Are you little tired, really stressed, relieved it's Friday, anxious for the weekend, a little under the weather, healthy and strong or just pretty good?

Then be thankful for it. Yup, be thankful even if you're frazzled or slightly sick because they're far better than the alternative.

After this week, I really appreciate normal feelings. Sure, I still have the aches and pains from chemo and surgery, but they're tolerable without the oppressive sick feeling that's so hard to describe. Part of it may be mind games or depression, but it left me with a lack of purpose and no energy. For a type A personality like me, that's a mighty blow.

Speaking of the pains, lying in bed last night, I identified a way to describe the bone pain I'm experiencing in my feet. Imagine you've worn a pair of tight shoes walking or dancing (how fun) all day. They're digging into the bones in your feet and crushing them. You long to rip them off. That's the kind of pain I experience in my feet, legs and ribs with chemo. My other bones are more sensitive to pressure and touch so I shift positions regularly, but the the majority of the pain localizes in those particular areas.

But I'm sure it'll abait soon and extra strength Tylenol takes the edge off. I eagerly anticipate my massage appointment tonight because I know it'll start to ease the muscles I've clenched in response.

It's so easy to take feeling good for granted. I've done it most of my life, and I'm sure I'll do it again when I beat this stupid cancer. It's human nature. But I've realized in my future, I'll stop every once in a while to appreciate feeling good.

Life's road isn't always smoothly paved. Sometimes we have to stumble on the rocks in its path, scrape our knee in a fall or feel cold because the rain beats down. But we need to appreciate the wonderful gift of the journey and marvel when we traverse it smoothly.

I urge you to appreciate the good feelings on your journey a little more today because we are all very fortunate.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said....Enjoy your massage tonight! I'll be thinking of you.

    Yesterday you said, "Hallelujah"...well, Alfredo shared a You Tube video with me and I think this will make your Friday!

    Enjoy!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWFJ_rykyA4

    You may have to cut and paste the link...

    Love you
    R

    ReplyDelete