Saturday, July 11, 2009

Oh, the smell!

They almost bring tears to a grown man's eyes and roar out at inopportune times. Even though they're unavoidable, this indelicate end result of chemotherapy isn't mentioned in the educational literature. But to me, chemotherapy-induced farts can't be anything but hilarious.

I laugh because they smell horrendously bad. The odour is so embarassing and unexpected, I giggle. I joke with Michael that something crawled up my butt and died, so now we're suffering the after effects.

Apparently, there's a simple scientific explanation to my malodorous affliction. Something about how the cells in the large intestine reproduce quickly and therefore are one of the first affected by the chemotherapy death squads. Their impending doom produces the smell that starts escaping from my body about a week after treatment.

I think I find the situation humorous because by the time the stinky farts make their appearance, many of the other discomforting side effects have done their work and departed. This one, while inconvenient and fairly short lived, causes no real harm. And their resulting laughter is a welcome reprieve from worry and pain.

Besides, better out than in.

Your smelly friend,
Tina

2 comments:

  1. Love it girl...you keep your sense of humor (humour) and can still blow the horn!! HEE HEE! LOL!!!

    Love you!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best blog yet. Seriously.
    "They almost bring tears to a grown man's eyes"
    "chemotherapy death squads"
    "malodorous affliction"
    "their impending doom produces the smell"
    "stinky farts"

    You are perfect.
    Don't change. Ever.

    ReplyDelete