Monday, July 13, 2009

Marvels of science

If you stop to think about cancer treatment, modern medicine is quite amazing.

First, I needed a variety of medical tests to confirm diagnosis and assess the size of the tumours, including ultrasounds and a comuted axial tomography (CT) scan. A CT scan displays bodily structures when they block the scanner's x-ray beam. It's a medium- to high-radiation exposure test because I had to drink an awful lot of a barium solution, which is radioactive, to allow my body to light up like a Christmas tree.

I marvel at the individual who originally discovered radioactive material could be used to diagnose disease (especially by drinking it). I'm a little worried about the medical isotype shortage in Canada because I think I'll need another CT scan at the end of my treatment to ensure I'm disease free.

Second, my gynaecological oncologist cut away all visible traces of the cancer during surgery. I can understand how big growths would look different than the necessary bodily organs, but I wonder how the little bits can be easily distinguished. Apparently cancer looks different than other cells, but in a messy, bloody mass of a body cavity, how does evidence of the disease look different? Obviously, way over my head.

Chemotherapy perplexes me most of all and I mentally thank those who went through the research stages of this treatment so I can participate in its life-saving abilities today. Think about all the research that went into determining the right type of chemotherapy drug, proper dosage, treatment schedule, etc. for each type of cancer.

As an ovarian cancer patient, I receive two very specific types of chemotherapy - carboplatin and paclitaxil - infused for six hours every three weeks. But each type of cancer receives a different combination of drugs via a different treatment schedule. Amazing.

Chemo marches through the body, indiscrimately killing cells. It can't differentiate between good and bad cells, hence the horrible side effects. The idea of having the right dosage to kill cancer cells while leaving enough of the good cells to keep the body functioning astounds me.

I know chemotherapy has come a long way and continual research will make the treatment better and less painful. Nausea and sickness were a common, debilitating side effect in the not-so-distant past, yet I now have a combination of medications to thankfully prevent them.

My oncologist also mentioned a study for when I'm in remission and feeling better to test a new ovarian cancer drug. Other current research studies examine stimulating the missing gene in those with the BRCA 1 and 2 gene to prevent reoccurence. These ground-breaking studies are exciting because it feels as though doctors are on the cusp of turning ovarian cancer on its head.

Cancer is a shockingly widespread and devastating disease. I'm thankful to those innovative researchers and doctors who've discovered - and keep working on - ways to identify and better treat cancer.

I, for one, continue to hope that all the research will bring a cure.

Hopefully yours,
Tina

2 comments:

  1. LOL - Apparently you can thank the really sexually active people in 1909 who had syphilis. That was the first thing they tried to use it to cure. Which might be the funniest discovery of my day. Thank you Tina, for causing me to discover that. This is the beginning of a fantastic day.

    I also thank the early 1900's whores for letting my friend in the 2000's live. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I figured this one would be hard to follow. ;)

    ReplyDelete