Monday, July 20, 2009

Recognize the love

I sit here this morning and am reminded that I'm surrounded by amazing people. Friends and family who jump in to help, who provide food, who check in on me regularly, who make me laugh, who allow me to talk or vent and who let me be me - regardless of the state I'm in on any particular day.

My body must be consuming lots of my energy these days trying to heal itself. Over the past few days, I've been more lethargic than usual - and that's okay. As a result, I'm more quiet and contemplative.

I attended a pig roast on the weekend, where I was less than my usual lively self. I had a great time and laughed until my belly hurt (literally) on Saturday night. In fact, several times I had to hold my incision site while I laughed and tears streamed down my eyes.

But I listened more than I talked. I sat instead of danced. I enjoyed the atmosphere more than contributed to it. But I promised Diane that I would dance with her at her birthday next year.

I'm lucky because I can say "next year."

Unfortunately, the father of a dear friend lost her father this morning after a lengthy battle with Parkinson's Disease. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family. While his death is a blessing because of his deteriorated quality of life, it's still difficult. Death is always hardest on those left behind.

I believe a person goes on to a better place with no suffering or disease, but the family and friends experience a gaping hole where that individual touched their lives. But a loved one can live on in hearts and memories. Jacqueline - Remember the good things about your dad and keep him alive in your heart.

Luckily, she spent a lot of time with her dad and visted him only yesterday.

We never know when we'll lose someone we love. Make the most of each day and never miss the opportunity to say I love you to those who matter. Life is busy, but it's the people in it that make it special. Don't get so caught up in things and tasks that you forget about those who make life worth living.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Tina....well said. My heart goes out to Jacqueline. Please convey my condolences to her and the family. She is blessed to have spent so much time with him, as we both had talked about.

    Yes, the hardest is leaving those behind. The peace I receive from my Ma's sudden death is knowing that she is in a place of no more suffering and pain. It sure has made me realize that the "list of things to do" will still be there when I depart this world...but the memories we make today with our love ones will always remain....

    Love you....and hang on to your belly and LAUGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that last paragraph says it all ...

    ReplyDelete