Saturday, July 4, 2009

Post chemo 3, day 1

I'm over half way through my treatments. Yippee!! I'm kickin' cancer in its butt.

Yesterday went well. The power of positive thinking really seemed to work. I had a wonderful breakfast at Cora's with my sister - really enough to sustain me most of the day along with the chemo treats Angie always brings to break the boredom at the cancer centre.

I spoke to my oncology nurse about the new pain in my abdomen and she said it's perfectly normal and I probably pulled a muscle when I startled myself the other night. My wandering thoughts in bed this morning - since I woke at 4:40 a.m. - made me realize that particular site could have been the location of one of the two big tumours that were cut out. So of course, it's going to be more sensitive than other areas of my abdomen.

As envisioned during my positive thinking exercise, the first needle went in and I was off to the races with chemo, albeit 30 minutes later than my scheduled appointment time (I guess everything can't go exactly as I want). However, I did subconsciously mention which side of the chemo suite I'd like to be on. Not only did I get that side, but I got the private room with a big window, which was nice. The rainy, cloudy weather didn't provide much of a view, but Angie and I had some privacy.

Chemo treatment themselves aren't too bad when I don't experience an allergic reaction, but they're long. My butt starts to hurt, gas starts to build in my abdomen (probably from the chemicals) and boredom sets in. Thank God, I have company (usually Angie) during these six-hour treatments. Yesterday we watched the first Harry Potter movie in eager anticipation of the new one coming out later this month. We also talked, read and ate munchies.

The chemical concoction and sitting all day makes me exhausted. I'm still tired this morning, but for some reason I'm awake. I suspect my sleep will be screwed up again for a little while. Hopefully, I'll sleep a little more - day and night - to encourage my body to heal from both the surgery and tolerate the side effects from the toxic chemicals. Luckily, I have a very supportive husband and kids that allow me to do just that.

While lying in bed this morning, I also realized my body is holding up pretty well despite everything being thrown at it. I have to thank it for being so strong and tolerant. I guess all those workouts helped it prep for its biggest fight to date.

So today I plan on having an easy, relaxing Saturday - a day to heal.

Enjoy your Saturday. Listen to your body and give it what it needs today. It'll thank you for it in the long run.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Rest up my sweet friend....take it easy...and just relax! :-)

    Love you
    Rachna

    ReplyDelete