Tuesday, July 21, 2009

London Regional Cancer Program

Today I see Dr. P to see how I'm healing and prepare for the next chemotherapy treatment. In the past, this appointment (and my bloodwork) occurred on the same day as chemo but for some reason, they've split it up this time.

Of course, this is less convenient since I couldn't expect Angie to come down twice in one week. She's my master note taker and back-up question asker. During my appointment today, I'll inquire as to whether I can return to all appointments on the same day.

Angie will come down to keep me company during chemo on Friday. She brings good snacks, a variety of drinks and her cheery personality. It's a long day and I get tired as all the meds course through my veins, but she understands. It's okay if I'm quiet and nap or read. She's there for company when I want to chat. Perhaps we'll bring a movie to help the hours pass more quickly.

So I'll spend the morning in the cancer centre; not necessarily a bad place to be. It's a beautiful place where live music often plays in the atrium. The staff and volunteers are amazing, caring people. It takes special individuals to willingly surround themselves with cancer patients and their families.

From the volunteer who greets visitors to the reception staff to the nurses who administer chemotherapy, I'm greeted with a smile and respect. They go out of their way to ensure I have everything I need to make my visit as comfortable as possible.

It's heartwarming such a wonderful place exists for those who are going through a very scary stage of their lives. And again, kudos to the amazing people make the place more enjoyable (or bearable) for those who need to visit.

Tina

4 comments:

  1. it seems that all cancer hospitals are the same, they all seemed to be filled with angels. Good luck today honey, call me when you have time.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck sweety....look forward to your post letting us all know how it went!

    Love you!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. The volunteers are wonderful at out hospital too. I had chemo today and a volunteer offered a cool water and a warm blanket.

    Later, volunteers came with a trolley of cookies and an assortment of hot and cold drinks.

    Yes it helps the medicine go down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Daria. Can you email me directly at mtbrats@rogers.com. I'd like to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete