Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hair today, gone tomorrow

It's a shame really. My scalp is covered in a thin layer of short brown (and grey) bristles. It feels like a really short brush cut. While it feels I don't have quite as many of the follicles I had prior to treatment, it actually looks as though I could have hair - if it were allowed to grow.

But, based on experience, they'll start to fall out again on Monday.

My eyebrows and eyelashes are fully present and some of the body hair that had previously fallen out made a reappearance. But I expect that all to change starting next week.

You know, part of the alopecia isn't so bad. The disappearance of leg and underarm hair provides a welcome reprieve from shaving. It would be awesome if I could choose which hair follicles fell victim to the killing effects of the chemotherapy. Unfortunately, that's not how it works.

I'd hoped to have a thin layer of hair by Christmas. Given this is all I've got after a two-month reprieve from chemotherapy, I'm a little doubtful. I know I'll return to work sporting my bald pate. I may have to get a bit better at using pretty, co-ordinated scarves to cover my scalp instead of resorting to baseball caps.

It's going to be a chilly fall and early winter!

It's a little sad to say, I've gotten used to being bald. I put on a wig earlier this week and it looked and felt puffy (like there was too much volume for my head). But I don't feel attractive bald either.

One day, we'll say "remember when" and joke about my bald period. At least I now know that I will get better and will have hair again one day.

Until then, I remain your bald (sooner to be balder) friend,
Tina

2 comments:

  1. Tina, do you ever watch the Colbert Report on The Comedy Channel or YouTube? Stephen Colbert's not only a sly political comic (from the liberal side), he's also growing his hair back from nothing. A U.S. general shaved Colbert's head during Colbert's recent shows for U.S. troops in Iraq. Short and stubbly is today's fabulous hair style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    as you know my Sis. had Cancer too and went also through the "Chemotherapy-Fun" including loosing the Hair. Now her Hair is that beauty as before. After a half year finishing Chemo she had a boy-cut. It´s only a question of patience. And I will pray for you, that your hair will grow very fast.

    ReplyDelete