Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Missing some of my favourite things

I love summer and the activities that accompany this wonderful season. But summer 2009 is a bit of a write-off for me (and my family) because of cancer. I can't enjoy many of my favourite summer pastimes due to treatment. While my list of enjoyable summer activities is extensive, here are a few I particularly miss.

Swimming
Obviously I'm not allowed to swim right now because my incision is healing and I can't use my abdominal muscles yet. But even chemotherapy prevents me enjoying the cool water two out of the three weeks of every treatment cycle because I can't expose my immune-compromised body to the potential germs swimming brings. So I can't swim at the YMCA, the pool in my backyard or the beach. I miss it.

Camping
Every summer, the Bratscher family escapes the busy city and lure of electronics by pitching our pop-up trailer in a small patch of wilderness. We cycle, cook outdoors, hike the trails, enjoy the beach and partake in relaxing campfires. We haven't been out once this year.

Last week, we were booked into a water-front campsite at Algonquin Park and it would have been my first camping adventure at the famed Canadian getaway. We cancelled our reservation when I got the cancer diagnosis.

Perhaps towards the end of the summer, if I'm feeling up to it and when I can lift more than five pounds, we can try a couple of weekend camping excursions close to home. Next year, we'll attempt to venture to Algonquin again.

Motorcycle and scooter
Given I can't lift anything over 20 lbs. for at least three more months, the motorcycle and scooter are off my activity list. It's important to be very alert and cautious when riding a bike, so even before my surgery, I was a poor candidate for this enjoyable activity.

Sunshine
High SPF sunscreen and shade are essential now (and I've heard perhaps for the rest of my life). While I know it's not good for you, I like laying in the warmth of the sun with a book. I enjoy tropical getaways to escape the snow in the winter. I like the warm brown tones of a tan. So I miss my friend, the sun.

Since the weather this summer has been cooler than usual, it decreases the envious feelings I have for those who can swim, camp, ride and enjoy the sun. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise - but don't start blaming me for the terrible weather this summer!

I'm beating this cancer and my prognosis is great, so I will have future summers to enjoy the wonderful activities the warmest season brings.

Enjoy whatever great summer activity your day brings.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. a little FYI my friend... without you I have wallowed once (as a fat whale would do as he finds himself beached in the shallows) in the lake this year. It's not the same floating on my back, facing the waves and being nearly drowned as each wave crests and crashes sending water and sand up my nose and into my sinus cavity.. ahhhh, the memories... next year we will play again, in the meantime, I bought new beach chairs and have the beauty orange and white umbrella awaiting your arrival this weekend. Can't wait to see you...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete