Thursday, July 2, 2009

Preparing for chemo

Today, I mentally and physically prepare for chemotherapy. While I say, bring it on, I know it's not going to be easy - especially two weeks and two days after surgery. But despite how difficult this could be, I don't want to wait.

Luckily, my blood counts are high enough to proceed tomorrow. When I went to the cancer clinic on Tuesday to check out my bleeding, they sent me for blood work. All my levels are fine and I can just show up for chemo tomorrow (instead of doing blood work and seeing the doctor in advance).

Tonight, I start taking my anti-nausea medication, Dexamethasone. I take five tablets 12 hours prior to chemo and then five more six hours before. Then I take an Ondansetron tablet about an hour before chemo.

After treatment, I take one tablet of Dexamethason and Ondansetron every 12 hours for five doses - so starting when I get home and for the next two days.

Luckily for me, research seems to have perfected the combination and dosage of these anti-nausea medications. To date (and hopefully continuing), I've only had stomach upset in response to the toxic concoction. But I do have stronger meds if I do get nauseous.

I hope I don't get sick this time. Sneezing hurts my incision site. I can only imagine what vomitting would do to it. But I'm optimistic since it's been six weeks since my last treatment. My body has recovered and I hope my reaction won't be any worse than before.

On the bright side, extra time tomorrow morning allows me to go out for breakfast with my sister before my appointment time. And after tomorrow, my chemo treatments will be half over. Both are reasons to rejoice.

I think it's important to find the silver lining to this grey cloud because attitude is everything.

So now I prepare mentally. I can get through this.

Tina

4 comments:

  1. You faith will get you through it all! I know you can do it!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half done sounds like a good place to be. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete