Saturday, July 25, 2009

Treatment, side effects and rest

The power of positive thinking didn't work as well yesterday as during the previous treatment. On the positive side, I did get a bed, and Angie and I agreed the six hours seemed to pass quicker than in the past. But I got my least favourite side of the chemo suite and it took two different nurses three sticks to get the needle in - and the first two were quite painful.

The nurses kept apologizing, asking if I was okay and if I wanted to stop for a rest. I said just do it. (I feel like a Nike ad these days.) I have deep veins, which may look pretty when I don't need needles, but they're a pain in the butt at times like these. So, I'll have four nice bruises on my arms over the next few weeks since I also have the one from the blood draw on Tuesday.

I started getting the side effects of chemo earlier this time. As a couple of people have pointed out, perhaps the chemo doesn't have much to attack since the tumours are gone and therefore it's looking for other areas to prey upon (as well as the itsy bits of cancer still left).

I felt shooting pains in my stomach while trying to go to sleep last night, my legs were restless (perhaps from the Benadryl and hydrocortison I get during treatment), my stinky farts are back, much to Michael chagrin, and the funny taste is starting. But thankfully I can still tolerate coffee this morning. Yay!

Hopefully their early arrival will mean a quick departure of the side effects. But I'm not counting on it.

The plan for the next few days is rest. I'm back to taking it one day at a time. Apparently, the rainy weather scheduled for the next few days will make that easier because the sunshine won't beckon from out my bedroom window.

Despite the rain, I hope you have a great weekend and manage to squeeze in some fun.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there girlfriend...I know you can DO THIS!!! I love you!! Stay positive...

    Take it easy....

    Love
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate ... as long as the coffee still tastes O.K. ... we can get through this.

    Hang in there....

    ReplyDelete