Sunday, July 5, 2009

The resting plan - a day late

I'm terrible at listening to my own advice sometimes. Yes, I had a smart plan to rest yesterday. But despite being tired from the chemotherapy treatment, I felt pretty good. So the Bratschers decided to take a drive up to Forest and have a sandwich at the D.P. Euro Deli.

It was great seeing Diane and Pete, and our family enjoyed our grilled lunches. But then, we helped with the activity at the deli, helping Diane and Pete build 50 sandwiches for an event. Don't get me wrong, it was great fun and I look forward to helping out at the deli more - when I've recovered. So yesterday evening, I felt the effects of the exertion. It's my own fault. There's no one to blame but me.

So today, I'm returning to the rest and relax plan, especially since I was awake sometime after 4 a.m. I'm starting to feel some of the chemo side effects - slight metallic taste in the mouth, some minor bone pain in my legs, a little nausea and heartburn - but they're not debilitating yet. My abdomen is a little sore too, but I'm going to try to stay on top of that and the bone pain with regular doses of medication.

It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day. I'll probably try a little walk to prevent the chemotherapy from pooling anywhere and to maintain my generally good mood. But I won't go too far. That's against my rest and relax mantra of today.

I know more of the after-effects of treatment will rear their ugly heads today, so I have to take it easy, get better and be patient with myself.

Try to be patient with yourself today too. Your entire to-do list doesn't have to be completed on a beautiful day like today. Take some time to really enjoy it.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. I knew it!!!! I just knew it!!! No more help till you're FULLY recovered..(your help was very much appreciated.... but NO MORE)
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete