Saturday, June 20, 2009

Activity = exhaustion

My energy must be focused on healing the huge wound in my abdomen because any other activity I partake in leaves me exhausted. Yesterday, I went for a couple of walks and then promptly needed a nap.

Yesterday evening, I drank an iced capp and needed a nap - how embarassing.

And despite residing in a hospital room, I slept quite soundly last night. Sure, I woke up a lot to roll over, but went right back to sleep.

In fact, I still feel exhausted (after my 5:30 blood draw), but that could also be due to the lack of pain medication since 10 p.m. Perhaps when the new percocet kick in, I'll be raring to go.

I made huge strides in my recovery yesterday. I now get out of bed (and go to the bathroom) when I want, I'm no longer conected to an IV, my TEDs are gone (yippee) and I had a shower. I feel more like a human being again.

And I look more human too. I was starting to resemble a Borg from Star Trek: The Next Generation due to a port the anaesthetist inserted in my neck for monitoring my heart during the operation. It remained in my neck in case I needed blood or food via that port. But it had dried blood under it, lots of tape around it and I think it scared my kids.

When they visited after school yesterday, it and my IV connection were gone, and I could tell they felt a lot more comfortable - to the point where they touched everything, goofed around and drove me crazy. Yes, they acted like normal kids.

Dr. P removed the dressing on my wound, and while its seeped a little, it seems to be healing well. Although, I have to admit, I haven't found the courage to take a look yet. I know it's a big incision from about an inch above my belly button all the way down to my pubic bone.

I've heard talk around the floor that I may be going home tomorrow since I'm doing so well. That news makes me happy, yet nervous. The set up here in the hospital - the bed, the table for eating, etc. - make it easy for me to do things for myself. I'm not sure how it'll be at home. But I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Besides, it'll be nice to be back in my own home and Michael won't have to come visit me all the time. He's been here almost constantly, ensuring I have what I need and keeping me company. What a sweetie.

Of course, I can't go home until I produce a bowel movement. I guess that's the goal for today. Yes, I have ambitious goals these days. ;)

Happy Saturday. I hope you have more exciting goals for your weekend than I do mine.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Well, my dear...seems to me you are making HUGE strides...and I love your little goals for the day. Remember...Rome wasn't built in a day.

    Do you like watermelon? If so..that will help move those bowels!! If not...trusty 'ol prunes will always do the trick. If you don't like those.. DR. PEPPER will do it too! :-)

    Or a good raisin bran muffin!

    I hope you make your goal for today! Then, you can come home tomorrow!!

    Can't wait to see you tomorrow. Love you!
    R

    ReplyDelete