Saturday, June 27, 2009

I wonder

I know it's only been 10 days since my abdomen was subjected to the scalpel, but I wonder how long it will take before I feel semi-normal. My wound is healing nicely and I get the staples removed on Tuesday. I know I'm going to have one doozy of a scar, but c'est la vie.

I know the doctor ripped through my stomach muscles so my arms and legs get a good workout every time I something. But when will I feel comfortable lying in bed again? When will it not be a coordinated series of movements to get into bed? Sitting isn't too bad, as long as it's the right kind of chair. But I reposition my sore butt a lot.

My gut doesn't like me too much right now either. It hasn't felt right since the surgery. Of course, it's been subjected to ingesting pain and anti-nausea medication, as well as stool softeners and laxatives. Then my internal organs suffered the indignity of an open cavity, with doctors touching them.

For such a big organ, the bowel is really a big baby. It acts up at the slightest provocation - spicy food, too much alcohol, too much grease, not enough fibre, etc. Mine's reacted to recent events by swinging from one extreme reaction to the other.

I know it hasn't been long since my surgery and today I feel better than yesterday, but still I wonder how long it will be. I will try to be gentle to my body today and give it good food to help it recover. And I remind myself of my mantra of one day at a time.

Enjoy your sunny Saturday.
Tina

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tina....

    Your tummy doesn't like what you are feeding it, eh? (recent trip to Canada has given me this world back in my vocabulary that had been lost for so long!!)

    Just go easy on everything.

    Remember the way your life was prior to the surgery at whirlwind speed? Now, slow it down 10 times.

    I know it must not be easy to "wait and heal"...but it will happen...as you said, one day at a time.

    I bet you will feel a lot less "constrained" with your stomach once the staples are out on Tuesday! YEAH!!

    Take care...
    Hang in there...
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH!!! I hate when I make spelling errors...meant "word" back in my vocabulary.

    Gotta learn to proofread!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete