Thursday, June 4, 2009

Confessions of a former gym rat

I was a self-professed gym rat, working out at least four days a week. I miss the endorphin rush from exercise. I miss the feeling of accomplishment. Yes, some days I had to drag my butt down to the gym, and I've had good workouts and bad ones - but I always felt better afterwards.

I miss the step, cycling and kickboxing classes. I miss the comraderie of the London Life gym and its awesome instructors. I even miss . . . wait for it . . . running.

My oncology nurse told me I could maintain almost all the activities I was doing before starting treatment - but to listen to my body. But I'm afraid to do too much because of my ascities and extreme tiredness. (My whole new set of fears and how I hate them is a subject for another day.) So my activity of choice over the past few weeks has been walking, sometimes for long distances. But it's not the same.

Besides, the week after chemo is challenging enough without tossing in exercise. And sometimes I feel my body just needs energy to fight and/or heal. Besides, those first two weeks post chemo, I don't want to expose myself to too many germs and risk infection (and you have to bet gyms have a lot of them).

But yesterday I went to the Carling Heights Community Centre. My mother in law wants to improve her shape but had never been to a gym. So she needed me to explain how to use the different equipment. While I was there, I hopped on the stepper and proceeded to work my calves. Then I ran on the treadmill. Neither activity lasted very long, but I did get a good sweat going. It was great.

But then, I did a dumb thing. I tried to hop back on the treadmill, while it was operating at a good clip. I know better. I was distracted and didn't think before I acted.

Maybe subconsciously, I'm testing my body to see if it'll heal itself as quickly as before. I fell and now have treadmill burn on my right knee and a bruise on my left shin - dummy. And because I didn't really bleed and my blood has clotting issues, I now have this oozing type sore. Just my luck.

But the exercise was good. It's got me thinking about doing a little more over the next two weeks. Maybe hit the pool and swim a few laps. Perhaps do a small run at a nice easy pace through my neighbourhood. I may even pull my bike out of the shed and go for a spin. Yes, I'll listen to my body. I tire easily and still need the energy to fight.

Of course, once I have the surgery, my exercise will consist of trying to get myself out of bed and walking the short distance to the bathroom. At least for the first while. Doesn't that sound strenuous?

But until June 17, I'm going to enjoy walking, visiting, lunching and exercising - because I can.

Perhaps you can think about incorporating a little activity in your day and kick some endorphins into gear. Your body will thank you for it.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. Hi darlin girl. It was great to see you today. You look fabulous.

    Definitely get out there and walk, and visit and lunch and exercise - whatever makes you happy.

    You bring sunshine into everyone's life.

    I am truly inspired by you and am blessed to be your friend.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exercising now,,, feel the burn as I place another olive oil and black pepper triscuit into my mouth... oh,,, the burn (of the black pepper ofcourse!!)
    Good to see that you did a little more than just show Jessee how to operate the equipment,, I knew you would. Get that bike out of the shed, it's a fabulous day. Better yet, go for a run with your dog,,, she's looking a little fat. (haha,, you KNOW I'm just kidding!! good thing YOU get me)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. I guess I have no excuse now for not being active. DAMMIT!!! But thank you. Seriously inspirational.

    ReplyDelete