Monday, June 8, 2009

Escapism

I practised a little escapism with my sister, brother in-law and Michael at the wedding on Saturday night. We had a really good time dancing, talking and drinking - so much so that I felt the after effects yesterday.

The timing was perfect. I needed a crazy night to forget about my upcoming surgery and cancer. Even though I was wearing a hat at the wedding and a bandana at the reception, my actions didn't reflect that I'm sick. It was great.

Since I know life will change significantly (at least for a while) after my surgery, I'm counting down the days. Last week and the days up to my surgery have been a reprieve of sorts, because I feel great. I feel normal. I could forget I have cancer. But the surgery and subsequent chemo treatments will change that illusion.

The weekend, we're planning a family escape with a mini vacation. Since we don't know how I'll feel this summer, Michael and I felt it was important to do something fun as a family before the operation. We'll rent a hotel room, head to Canada's Wonderland, hit some garage sales and maybe see a movie. We'll simply spend time together as a family.

I also have some fun activities with friends planned for this week. It's like I'm trying to cram a whole lot of fun into my days. But hey, why not?

This morning, I have my preadmission appointment for my surgery next week. It's a trek back to reality. But I think I'm ready for it because I need to know what to expect and prepare for it mentally.

But even as I prepare mentally, I'm going to enjoy the next week and a half, and follow my mantra of one day at a time.

I hope you enjoy your day.
Tina

3 comments:

  1. I don't think you were the only one feeling the "after effects" of the wedding! - We had so much fun and i was so happy to see you and Angie.
    there isn't a day that you are not in my thoughts! We love you so much.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlin girl, enjoy this next week and a half. Fun is what it is all about.

    One day at a time - one day at a time.

    Always in my thoughts.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you going out and having a blast!! I'm glad that you could 'shake it up' a bit...
    see you Wednesday night... have you thought of what you're cooking yet??? haha

    ReplyDelete