Thursday, June 25, 2009

Impatient and stubborn

I'm aware of many of my faults. Impatience and stubborness are two of my big ones, and they're rearing their ugly heads as I recover from surgery.

Yes, I know it's only been one week. I understand the doc cut through several layers, removed numerous organs, prodded at those that remain and then closed me back up again. I comprehend it was major surgery from which it takes a long time to recover.

But I'm impatient.

I want to be able to reassemble my house from the painting extravaganza. But I can't lift the boxes. Later today, I'll try to put a few things away, but I'll have to ask Michael's to place the box in the right location or carry one or two items at a time. Not an easy task for an impatient person.

I find it hard to rely on others when I've been perfectly capable of doing a task for so many years. So I don't ask for help (that's the nasty stubborn trait) only to discover I can't do it or it hurts when I do.

To compound the problem, Michael is impatient too. He feels everything should be done NOW! He should be getting the house back in order, cutting the grass, wedding the gardens, planting the vegetable garden, etc.

The blessing is that I've learned to let more go than I could in the past. I gently said yesterday, does it really matter? Yes, it raises both our blood pressure a little bit, but no, it doesn't really matter and we have to let it go a little more. We need to relax and simply spend time together.

Everything will get done - all in good time.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Yes...everything will get done...in good time. Focus on what is important today, which is HEALING. The stuff will always be there and there are always things to do on the agenda.

    Developing patience is a skill....its not easy, but it will serve you in the long run.

    I have learned to practice this... LET GO, AND LET GOD.

    God's plan for you is to halt and take time to heal. And of course, while I was there, you mentioned something a few times which was this... "I haven't really taken time to think about what the outcome of this surgery really means?" Sweety, this is amazing! With God's grace, you have won a huge battle! You are now in the homestretch! Remember that...Isn't that WONDERFUL?

    Yes, today's day-to-day is healing from the surgery...but look at what the whole picture is! You were so lucky to have had immediate care and as you mentioned, only 2.5 months from diagnosis, you have already had two rounds of chemo AND surgery to rid the cancer! YIPEE!! How AMAZING is that?

    So...as you go through looking all around you and seeing those little things (and they ARE little things) that are piling up, remember, all in good time, my friend....all in good time! And maybe, its on God's time!

    I miss you! Love you!!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty amazing advice from your dear Friend. Tina I just want to tell you what an amazing person you are. Your entries move me. Your outlook on life,your amazing circle of friends and family...and your incrediable relationship with Michael. When you sent the email and told me what you were battling, I told Bob, this is one Girl that is going to beat this. And I knew you would.
    I am so saddened that you have gone through this...but it is only going to make you, your marriage and your family stronger...
    Tina you Rock...

    Sending you lots of hugs...

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete