Friday, June 26, 2009

The gift of life

I've donated blood for years. I figured if I could, I should. It didn't take much time and effort, and I knew others benefited from my small gesture of altruism.

It hit me this morning (yes, delayed reaction) that I received blood last week to raise my hemoglobin level and prepare me for my next round of chemotherapy. The transfusion restored my energy level and eliminated a pounding headache.

My hemoglobin level was only 75 and I need at least a 95 to proceed with chemotherapy. While our bodies restore it naturally, mine wouldn't have done so in time. So the blood was necessary so I can get the cancer-killing treatment next Friday.

It's different being on the receiving end of a donation. I'm thankful someone took the time to donate blood. While I can never donate again, I thank all those who make the effort to give the gift of life.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment