Thursday, June 18, 2009

Recovering AND online

It's over! The tumours are out of my body. And I'm recovering in my hospital bed and staying in touch online. Ya gotta love technology.

The surgeon had good news for my family yesterday. I'm sure he told me too, but the day is one big blur since I slipped in and out of consciousness. As Angie posted in my blog's comment section yesterday after the operation, Dr. P cut out the two tumours and all that is left of the cancer is microscopic dust. The chemotherapy should take care of that. Yippee!

So the news I prayed for became a reality. I'm sure all your thoughts and prayers had something to do with that. Thank you.

I went into surgery early - around 11:30. Apparently, Dr. P's first surgery of the day was cancelled and so my time was bumped forward. It gave me less time to lay around worrying, which was good.

The first time I got really, really nervous was while waiting in the hallway outside the operating room. The rest of the time was whirlwind of activity, but in that hall, I was truly alone. I said a few prayers and put myself in God's hands.

"Breathe deeply from the face mask," my anaesthetist said . . . and then I was waking up. I'm sure I missed a bunch of action between those two moments. I felt a lot of pain when I first awoke, but once the morphine took effect, it eased. (Angie told me every time I could take another dose, which I do via a hand control) The key is taking regular hits of the pain-killing drug to stay on top of it.

The nurses give me regular doses of anti-clotting medication. Between that and the TEDs socks, which aren't as annoying as I thought they'd be, I should be able to avoid the life-threatening blood clots.

I slept sporadically last night, waking every few hours to roll over (yes, I slept on my side and rolled over every hour or so) and depress the button for another jolt of morphine.

I've had a sponge bath, brushed my teeth (aaahhhh) and tooled around the halls today during my walk. Okay, I walked about 15 feet and then turned around and went back to my room. But according to my nurse, I'm doing amazingly well. She said, I'll probably go home on Sunday, which is early.

I've eaten some lunch and am now very sleepy. So that's it for now because I need a nap.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers. They worked wonders.

Tina

6 comments:

  1. I am SOOOOOO happy everything is going so well!!! Thank GOD!!!!! Such wonderful news!!! YEAH TINA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIPPEE! Thank you, thank you, thank you God.

    I am so happy. I am running around here at work telling everyone.

    Can't wait to see you.

    Love always Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it would be good news! I have tears of joy for you..God listened to all our prayers! You take it easy and make that Husband of yours give you a big hug from us! Always in our thoughts and prayers!

    Dawn,Bob and Girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAAAAYYYY TINA! You have done so well! Look at you go, girl! Not even surgery, not even nurses, not even cancer can stop you! You're the greatest! Now, you go easy on yourself while you're healing and you'll be back to normal life so soon! Well, not 'normal' life, but a life with purpose!

    Way to go, girl! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that we all shed a few tears of joy when we heard the positive news about your surgery. You're a fighter Teena and you're in the home stretch now. Rest easy and have happy peaceful dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you and your family Tina. You have been so brave and positive, rest and take it easy.
    Enjoy those TEDS!!!

    ReplyDelete