Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The people make the place

While I enjoy what I do for a living, it's the people who make London Life special. I visited work yesterday (a 5-1/2 hour visit!) and left feeling energized and positive. While I couldn't see everyone (sorry to those I missed), I was lucky enough to visit with many, some whom I hadn't seen since my diagnosis.

I really enjoyed my day, the hugs, the words of encouragement, the lunch in the cafeteria and the compliments on my bald head (a source of curiosity) with its halo of white, yes white, fuzzy regrowth.

I'll say it again, I'm very lucky to work with an amazing group of people who are supportive, compassionate and kind. I look forward to returning to work - hopefully this fall.

My work visit (and comments over the past few weeks) also reaffirmed my reasons for blogging. Sometimes, I question writing a blog almost every day. Some days, as I sit in front of my computer, I wonder what I'm going to say and question if there's anything worthwhile to discuss. Amazingly, once I start writing, the words simply flow from my fingertips and a blog appears - of course, some are better than others. Other times, I feel as though I'm navel gazing and wonder who on earth would want to read what I wrote.

But many people told me they enjoy reading my blog every day and often gain insight from it. Some have ritualized its reading - every morning, every night. One person shared he's used the topics to start dinner conversations with his own family. Wow, what a compliment!

I gain personally from the experience because I find the writing therapeutic. I have to explain the process of my diagnosis and treatment, and decipher the medical jargon. It also forces me to look inside myself and deal with the emotional aspects of the disease so I can write about it.

Sharing my emotions and struggles with everyone is a step outside my comfort zone. Before this blog, I was a fairly private person, only discussing my personal issues with a select group or using a journal to capture thoughts and feelings. I have to admit, I sometimes feel exposed because so many people know so many close and personal things about me.

But I almost feel compelled to write. It's my way of reaching out to others, to keep people up to date, to demystify ovarian cancer, and to explain what it's like physically and emotionally to deal with a cancer experience.

So, I'm honoured my blog has an audience and people enjoy reading what I write. I'm especially touched that it helps provide some readers with insight into their own lives. And so, I'll continue to write.

Tina

11 comments:

  1. It was so great to see you yesterday Tina, you looked fantastic and were so uplifting. We all miss seeing your smiling face around here.

    PS - I especially liked the colour coordination of your shoes and shirt! haha – get outside and enjoy the sunshine today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlin. Please continue to write your blog.

    It gives us all a better insight into the person we are travelling with on this journey, and definitely gives me a better understanding of who I am as a person, and what I can offer to those around me.

    I am truly blessed to be on this journey with you.

    Enjoy the sunshine.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    with you writing your blog everyday, I think it helps all of us sitting back reading it to know what you deal with everyday. It's easy to call and say, 'hi, how you doin'? and easier for you to say 'fine' then really go into detail like you do everyday on your blog of your emotions, fears, joys, sorrows etc.
    with your writing everyday Tina it makes everyone realize what a special person you really are,,, something that I've known for years.
    love ya honey... have a great day
    xo
    ps,,, think of the porch,,, that fabulous porch... I'll have you living in Pt Franks sooner than you realize!!!! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely an "every morning" girl. - and mostly because I'm 2 hours behind you ;) But I look forward to your blog every day! I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realize everyday how wonderful you are! Yes we ride this roller coaster together, the highs, the lows. I log in at work with your blog in the corner waiting to read your beautifull words. I don't write on the blog comments because I love to hear your voice on the phone. My True Companion!
    Love Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes please, keep on writing this blog. It keeps us updated over this long distance. I think of you at least 2 or 3 times a day also if I don´t comment every day. By the way I am a evening-reader ;-)
    Love Renate

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - I totally agree with the people making the place! (which is why it sucked so bad for me to leave!) I LOVED the people I got to work with!!! (still DO!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great to see you at work Tina. I was just reading through your blogs. Thanks so much for sharing so much of yourself with us all. You are such a talented writer! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh....How I LIVE to read your blogs daily!! It has become a morning and evening ritual for me. Of course, I am 3 HOURS behind you...so, you will see my posts VERY late!!

    It makes me feel closer to you, though we are so many miles apart.

    Keep on writing, as everyone has said, it is very inspirational. It has put so much perspective on my own life and I am drawing from your positivity and your strength.

    You are a true inspiration, and I am so honored you are my friend!

    Love ya....your university partner in crime...

    Rachna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tina
    We know it must be hard, and some days it is likely the last thing you want to do, but you really are helping so many with you thoughts feelings and words. Even though we do not see you, it is like having a little visit with you each day. Keep up the good work. Have a great day.
    Love Cheryl & Reg

    ReplyDelete