Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cosmetics and chuckles

Cancer treatments can severely affect a woman's opinion of herself. Her hair falls out or thins significantly, her brows and lashes dissapear, skin gets dry and flaky, bags develop under her eyes, nails get brittle, and acne and red spots can appear on her skin.

That's doesn't include bruising from multiple needles (or silly accidents) and the inability to heal as quickly. Internally, chemotherapy can also cause mouth sores, dry eyes and dry nasal passages.

As a result, a woman can feel incredibly ugly - a shadow of her former self - and she may not want to socialize, which alienates her when she needs support.

Those feelings are the reason the Look Good, Feel Better program was created. The program believes a woman can learn to use skin care products, cosmetics and wigs to create a new look and feel better about herself.

Last night, I went to this program with my friend, Diane, who I knew would make me laugh. And I was right - especially when it came to trying on the different wigs. I think she now has blackmail pictures of me!

During the two-hour session, the instructor and some great volunteers taught all the women how to use the skin care products to moisturize our delicate skin, and apply the costmetics to hide the dark circles and brighten our faces.

I think I was the only one who was seriously losing her eyebrows. But I learned how to draw them in to look natural for when the last strands decide to make the escape from my face. No, I did not draw in surprised eyebrows or angry eyebrows. ;)

We all walked away from the session looking great and toting a big box of products that included: facial wash, moisturizer, toner, sun screen, face powder, lip balm, lipsticks, lip gloss, lip liner, eye shadow, eye brow pencil, eye liner, mascara, blush, hand cream and cutlicle cream. These products were all generously donated by top cosmetic companies, including Dove, Lancome, MAC, Lise Watier, Clinique and Mary Kay, to name a few.

While I have the cosmetic tips, I probably won't use them as often as some of the women who attended the session. I often don't wear make up when I'm not at work or going to a special event. I rarely used foundation, even when I was well. But having the skin care tips and the knowledge of how to use cosmetics to enhance my appearance is valuable.

After the make up application, we got to try on a variety of different wigs, hair pieces and hats. A couple looked good on me, but several looked absolutely terrible, and Diane and I found it terribly funny. I had to laugh at how ridiculous I looked. One hair piece was only bangs to be worn with a head scarf. To be a good sport, I put it on (despite belly chuckling laughter) and Diane snapped a photo. Oh no!

Overall it was a fun night, I walked away with some great trips to use to disguise the effects of chemotherapy and I gleefully accepted my big box of skin care products and cosmetics. I felt like a kid at Christmas.

This program is incredibly valuable and wouldn't be possible without the generous donations by the cosmetic companies and the volunteers who give up time. It was educational and fun, which women with cancer need a little more of in their lives. I would highly recommend this program to any woman suffering from cancer. (And the big box of goodies is awesome!)

Your more beautiful friend,
Tina

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Tina girl! You are beautiful inside and out...

    I am so glad you had fun at the event last night! I am sure you got my email...I can't wait to see you...

    I will do my best to promise NOT to make you laugh too much as I know that won't be good with your surgery belly! But, we will enjoy our moments...

    Sounds like it is a wonderful program and looks like you got a great box of goodies!!

    Love you, girlfriend...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY!!!!!! oh my, oh my,,, do I have pictures!! If I knew that I could post them on your blog, I would do so,,, gleefully...(is that a word?) I had an absolute blast lastnight with you my friend,,, it was worth staying out late with you,, even when the dreaded alarm clock chimed at 4:25 AM...
    I really do think you should post the pic with the BANGS!!!! hahah
    love you lots, thanks for bringing me with you..
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, I would love to see those pictures.

    Tina, I am so glad that you and your buddy Diane had such a great time last night.

    What an amazing program. So very generous and helpful.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete