Sunday, June 14, 2009

Support for the whole family

Wellspring is an amazing organization that provides programs and support to those with cancer and their families. They offer programs like therapy, medication, yoga, therapeutic touch, reiki and tai chi. The building also houses a library with books, brochures and other information on all types of cancer, and the organizations that support those suffering from the disease.

The lives of many of the people who work and volunteer at Wellspring have been touched by cancer.

I attended one of their meditation sessions, which gave me some new skills with which to relax. Last week, I went to a therapeutic touch appointment.

I didn't know what to expect, but given the name, I did expect some touching. But the therapist only touched my feet - very briefly. She touched the energy surrounding my body, moving it around and getting rid of the negative energy.

It was very different from what I usually partake in (massage therapy), but I told myself to keep an open mind. At the end of the session, I was given 15 minutes to rest. During that time, I fluctuated between the vivid, dream-like state just before sleep and conscious wakefulness. Given this response, I apparently responded well to therapeutic touch.

Science has proven the body heals faster when individuals use a relaxation method to relieve stress. I'm all for healing faster. If I can employ some of my relaxation methods after my surgery, perhaps I'll get back on my feet faster.

Yesterday, my kids attended an art therapy class at Wellspring. Its goal is to help the kids talk about the cancer and their feelings, while doing art. Yesterday, they made medallions as a gift for me and Michael. They also made medallions for each other to symbolize that they can stick together through this terrible experience. My medallions say, Stay strong from Noah and I love (as a heart) u mom from Tara. I asked if I could bring them to the hospital, to which Noah replied, of course.

The therapist said the kids were very good at verbalizing their emotions, which they learn through modelling. I try to be open and honest with my kids and apparently, it's paying off. Maybe they won't bottle up their negative emotions and then turn them into an inappropriate response during non-related situations.

I used to bury my negative emotions, but this experience has taught me to be more open with them, which has enhanced relationships (instead of damaging them, which is what I expected).

Yesterday, my family and I enhanced our relationship by starting our mini-vacation with some fun activities around London. After our garage sale experience, which yielded few good finds, we went to see the movie UP. It was awesome, although some of the scenes really made me cry. I'm still emotional about it a day later!

Today with head to Toronto to visit some good friends before we head to our hotel (with a pool), where we'll meet up with my sis and her family. Tomorrow we all hit Canada's Wonderland. Yeah! The weather is supposed to be beautiful.

So don't expect a blog tomorrow. But I think I've babbled on enough today anyway.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. It was so good to see all of you today and catch up! Hope Wonderland is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing organization Wellspring is.

    It is always surprising when we can go into a new program with an open mind. We come away with a better understanding of how our bodies can heal. Sounds like the kdis are learning alot too.

    You are always in my thoughts darlin.

    Enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete