Friday, June 19, 2009

Did anyone see the licence plate

. . . of the truck that ran me over during the night? I'm glad the chief resident and nurses told me yesterday I'd feel worse today (rather than better) or I'd be worried. It's a managable discomfort, so far, but I thought yesterday would be my worst day. When I mentioned this assumption to the doctor, she quickly corrected it.

This morning, I woke to a different pain. This one is from the gas accumulating in my belly. Since I've been eating food and then sitting most of the day, the gas build up is getting intense. But my overnight nurse told me this morning that if I move around more today, the gas should dissipate.

Yes, I did say move around more. Yesterday, I learned how to get up without taxing my abs too much and went for three walks around the ward. I also sat in a chair for small periods of time. But because I have to wear the TEDs to prevent the blood clots, my time away from the inflatable sleeves is limited.

But today, if I walk more, I can get rid of the TEDs.

While I proclaimed they weren't bad yesterday, the TEDs got annoying last night. I am so itchy underneath the inflatable sleeves and the tight, white, nylon-type socks. They drive me crazy.

So apparently, I can shed them today along with some of the other paraphenalia tethering me to my hospital bed. The catheter came out this morning and the IV line will be closed off today (they'll still leave the needle in the back of my hand in case my condition turns and I need fluids via IV again).

Up to this point, they've been pumping my IV full of saline, a strong anti-inflammatory and some other fluids. If I don't need those any more, it means I'm heading down the road to recovery. Yeah, I know, I'm pushing it considering I'm only on my second day post-op.

Luckily, I was able to sleep last night. I probably had two hour stints before I woke up, checked the clock, carefully rolled over and went back to sleep. Not bad for being in a hospital. I never sleep properly in these places, which is why people generally tend to recover better from home once the main nursing care is over.

Dr. P came in to visit me yesterday. He compared to the cancer that was left to the tip of his pen. Apparently, he said they were the size of a grain of sand to Angie. But regardless, they're small. The next steps involve blasting them with chemotherapy to make them go away and hopefully send me into remission. My next chemo session is two weeks from today.

He said my ovaries were only slightly swollen and my uterus looked good. Of course, he took them all out as part of my operation. The best news is my lymph nodes weren't affected. Yay!

I'm very impressed with the staff on D4 at the Victoria Campus. I have experienced exceptional and friendly care since the moment I got on the floor. I know I'm in good hands.

Right now, I'm focusing so much on the physical aspects of the operation and getting better, that I'm not thinking about any of the mental aspects, the prognosis and my scarred body. Of course, I'm thrilled the situation was better than expected and the tumours are gone, but I haven't thought beyond that yet. There will be time for that later.

But for today, my goal is to move around and get rid of the gas. It's a small, yet important, goal.

Happy Friday,
Tina

9 comments:

  1. Happy Friday to you darlin.

    Chris Brown and I were saying yesterday, that your news just made our day. It is such great news. Good things really do happen to good people, and you are one of the good ones.

    Enjoy your time today.

    See you soon.

    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news, Tina. Okay, no, not about the feeling of being run over, or the gas, or the incredible discomfort, but the doc's comments about what's left in you and that there was no lymph node involvement. YAY. That's fabulous news. I'm so happy to hear that, and I pray the remaining chemo sessions will get rid of all that's left so you get your happily ever after and continue to live, laugh and love.
    Sending hugs and healing thoughts.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday indeed.

    Hope you get some relief today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gotta have a goal Tina - don't over do it though. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday to you Tina!

    its so great to hear this good news. I´m shure a big rock (maybe a mountain) is rolling off your heart. We are so glad for you.
    Keep on recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHAHAHAHAH - Get rid of the gas!!! LOL... oh I should totally be there for that... I'd make inappropriate comments, and try to out-fart you!!! It'd be a good time! :D Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, how do I follow Max's comment? Guess I shouldn't follow Max anywhere. Get it?

    More seriously, one day at a time Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well...reading these posts are such a GAS!! HAA HAA... Just joking... I hope you are doing well and recovering...I will see you in two days...take it easy, girlfriend..and MOVE around even in bed...to get rid of that gas!!

    Love you
    R

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could totally do those isolated but-flexes! workin your glutes AND expelling gas!

    ReplyDelete